Why is it important to manage Presbyopia or '老花眼'?
Do you find reading small print or text difficult or having trouble focusing on objects near you? Do you also have poor vision in dim lighting? These are symptoms to look out for if you think that you have presbyopia. Aging is one of the biggest factors that lead to Presbyopia. It is an eye condition caused by the gradual thickening and loss of flexibility of the natural lens inside your eye which associated with aging, although certain lifestyles may allow for earlier onset of these symptoms.
Progressive lenses ‘渐近镜片’, typically known as ‘三层镜片’ or ‘看远看进镜片’ able presbyopes to be able to have clear vision at all distances (Near, Intermediate and Far), with correction power that varies seamlessly over the entire surface of the lens. All you need now is one pair of progressive lenses that you can wear throughout the day, without the need to swap between 2 pairs of Single Vision glasses or traditional reading glasses ‘老花眼镜’.
What You Should Know About Varilux® progressive lenses
Varilux® progressive lenses help you achieve effortless and sharp vision at any distance, at first sight. Here are 5 key benefits of Varilux® progressive lenses:
- Clear vision at any distance – Near, intermediate or far, it gives you clear vision whatever the distance
- Total comfort in any task – Providing total comfort whether you are working at your desk, using a smartphone or simply reading the newspaper.
- High-resolution vision in any light – Enjoy greater contrast and sharpness even in low light.
- Instant focus – Smooth transition from near to far vision and every distance effortlessly.
- Quick adaptation – This lens is designed to ensure the best performance possible and fast adaptation.
Varilux® progressive lenses incorporate a variety of lens technology to offer wearer’s with different options based on their visual needs.
- SynchronEyes™ provides a clearer vision from left to right and top to bottom.
- Wavefront Advanced Vision Enhancement™ elavates sharp vision at any distance, even in low light.
- 4D Technology™ allows instant focus as your eyes move around.
- Nanoptix™ enables no ‘swim’ effect (where peripheral vision can be slightly altered by the changes that occur at the edge of progressive lenses).
- Xtend™ technology extends your arm’s length vision (vs Varilux® S series lenses) so you no longer have to tilt or angle your head to find your focus.
- Near vision behavior personalization with additional measurements can be taken to provide personalized positioning of your specific posture and behavior during near vision work.
Most people are able to get used to their lenses within 1 week although there are variations in individual experience and the time is taken to adapt to progressive lenses.
The best way to adapt is to move your head as well as your eyes when looking sideways, adjust to your glasses by wearing them in a familiar environment and avoid switching back to your old glasses. Selection of frame is crucial to ensure a perfect fit in order to fully optimize these lens functions. Stay with one optometrist during the adaption period as we’ll assist to troubleshoot the issues you are facing to ensure all is right with your pair of progressive lenses.
Most people like to wear progressive lenses after trying them on is due to the convenience it provides by having your near, intermediate and far prescription all in one pair of glasses.
The latest progressive lenses have been designed to be able to fit into smaller frames to match normal eye movements in these frame styles. Our optometrist will recommend the frames to ensure a good fit for every unique features.